Monday, January 28, 2008

The Ganga

Today is our wedding anniversary. We’ve made it 41 years so far! We celebrated by being blessed by a Hindu priest at a temple above Haridwar. He said his blessing for us was that we would return to India with all four of our children. (Since the four “children” are all adults, they may have something to say about that!)

080128

This was another great day photographically speaking. We spent most of the day walking around Haridwar and watching the pilgrims bathing in the Ganga River. It is freezing cold and windy here so I didn’t try a dip! The rituals associated with the religions here are very complex and I don’t begin to understand them, but the people have been very willing to include us in everything that is going on. There are no foreign tourists here, just thousands of people from all over India who have come to this holy site for religious reasons.









I have no idea what we’ve been eating but all of the food has been delicious – only vegetarian here in Haridwar. Everything is very spicy and we’ve been careful to eat only very hot foods. So far, (knock on wood) we haven’t gotten sick.



The kids here are all so beautiful and they all want their photos made! I'm in danger of running out of hard drive space! I’m still using the M8 and 5D (I needed the long lenses) and will take the M7 out tonight.




Tomorrow we visit Rishikesh, a smaller, quieter pilgrim site - where the Beatles met with their Yogi.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tina & Tommy - Very Happy Anniversary!! I'm so glad you're having such a wonderful & photographic time, but I'm not surprised, because you always find the beauty wherever you go. India through your eyes & camera is gorgeous and I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog!!!
Love, MJ

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!! I can't believe you've been able to tolerate Dad for 41 years - you're a tougher woman than I am (jk Dad!) : )
And I completely agree with the Hindu priest - you should return to India with all four kids...or at least me!

Kip Manley said...

At least you, eh, Laura?

Jenn wants to know if she can be the fifth. Incredible photos, Mom.