Friday, January 25, 2008

Arrival and Delhi

08/01/25

We’re here and with no problems at all. A very thick fog didn’t delay our flight Wednesday morning in Charlotte.

and by the time our plane left Atlanta the fog had lifted.
We changed to an Air France flight in Paris and flew over the Elbruz Mountains in Iran before the sun set for the second time on this very long day.



Jet lag hasn’t set in yet and we enjoyed a very good breakfast buffet at our hotel before getting an early start on sightseeing. We visited several temples and monuments before convincing our guide that we’d really rather wander through markets and the unbelievably busy streets of Old Delhi. I ended up taking over 700 photos this first day, about half with the M8 and half with the Canon 5D. After reviewing them quickly, I’ve decided to leave the Canon at the hotel tomorrow and take the M8 and my M7 with some film. It will certainly be a lot less to carry and a lot less attention-attracting than the Canon cannon!




People were very friendly everywhere we went and only two requested money for photos. Everyone else was very happy to have their photo made. The hassling has been much less than I expected.







Tomorrow is a national holiday – Independence Day – and we’ve been advised to stay in the hotel and watch the parade on TV! Everything will be closed and nobody will be working except the pickpockets, according to our guide.

I saw a saying on a sign in front of the YMCA here that I like:
“Worry is the darkroom in which negatives are developed.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay! I'm so glad you're doing this blog - now I feel I am there traveling with you guys too. The pictures are amazing!

Anonymous said...

Great photos Mom! I'm glad to hear that you arrived safely. Sounds like you're having a wonderful trip so far. Love, Cathy