Saturday, February 23, 2008

Wild India

We have been totally out of communication for over a week while we traveled in a part of India with more wildlife than people! We toured the Kerala Backwaters and the Periyar Wildlife Refuge in everything from a canoe to a riceboat converted into a houseboat to a tour boat full of newlywed Indian couples. It's been an interesting diversion. I tried (and failed miserably) to be Doug Herr and get some great bird photos. I will probably end up deleting 90% of the attempts, but if I find anything in focus, I'll try to post some photos later.

This area of India - the climate, vegetation, and even the laid-back attitude of the people - reminds me more of parts of Central America than anything we've seen in Northern India. It makes me homesick for Honduras and Guatemala. In fact, I automatically started thinking and speaking Spanish, which caused some confusion!

We just checked into the hotel in Mumbai and I have a couple of problems I hope somebody can help solve. My intrepid M8 locked up this morning while I was shooting photos from the boat (no, I didn't drop it in the water!). Instead of going snkclk when I pressed the shutter, it just went snk and Shutter Fault showed up on the screen. It looks like the top shutter blade is stuck slightly behind the second one. Can I just flip it back over the second blade and solve the problem? Help!

Also, it seems that any e-mail I received in the last week and a half has disappeared into the ethernet somewhere. And I'm not sure any I sent from Udaipur were actually sent. If you have sent or expected an e-mail from me, please let me know.

The hotel here has free wireless internet hook-ups! Yeah! I'll post more photos as soon as I unpack and download.

No comments: