Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Life By the Side of the Road

Rajasthan

We have been traveling around Rajasthan for the past week and really having a great time. Tonight is the first time I’ve had a wireless connection since the last post and it’s costing me $6 an hour!! I had assumed that I would find free wireless connections in the hotels in India since we had free wireless almost everywhere in China, but it’s certainly not available here.

Rajasthan is referred to in all of the guide books as the most colorful area of India. Most of the traditional costumes, dances, and music are presented in “cultural events” for the tour groups in the big hotels.




I prefer the color seen by the side of the road. A lot of life in India is lived out in the open on the side of busy highways and rural roads. I’ve been trying to capture some of the daily life as we zoom past in traffic.


















I don’t know when I’ll get an internet connection again, but I’ll keep posting when I can.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Tina,

Your photos are wonderful, as always.
But please stop complaining so much about how expensive this or that thing or service is for you.

I suggest that you try to imagine what such prices mean for the local people and for what they can do - or rather - not do...

Thanks,
Mads

Tina Manley said...

Dear Mads -

I went back through the blogs to be sure but the only thing I've complained about being is the internet service and I was just surprised because I had thought that India was a leader in internet development and would have free wireless. We have had excellent meals for $2. I plan to write about the extreme poverty in India that is the most severe of any country I've visited, but I want to do it carefully because I don't want to hurt the feelings of the people here who have been so wonderful to us. I am hesitating to post photos that show the poverty for the same reason, but also think they might encourage people to help development agencies in India. I'm sorry I came across as complaining. I was just trying to explain why I haven't posted as many blogs as I planned.

Tina

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures of life by the side of the road!
(I haven't noticed you complaining about expenses - anyone who knows you at all knows how compassionate you are and that you would never do anything to offend anyone; and that most of your work points out the poverty that exists even in such beautiful places).
Keep it up - love it!
Love, MJ

Mary said...

Tina - I'm originally from Rock Hill, but now living in Mumbai for the last 7 months. I am enjoying your blog tremendously. You have been places I haven't yet gotten to and your pics encourage me to get out and travel more.
Mary McDow Rincon

Anonymous said...

some nice image, a pity that these crop factors give so much depth of field, the "all sharp" feeling is there. regards stefan rohner